Rosey Cale 'Whiskey Than Wine' Interview & Review

29.6.18
Photo's by Wethedee

Pembrokeshire’s rising talent Rosey Cale is back with her deep sweeping melodies and touching lyrics in her new single ‘Whisky Than Wine'. Released on Friday 29th of June, Rosey has graced us all with another beautifully crafted song, but this time reliving a more vulnerable side to her country rooted music. 

Whisky Than Wine’ rises and falls through sweet melancholic lyrics and a soothing tune to lull the listener into a relatable story of loss. Unusually for a returning single, Rosey has released a set back and exposed single which draws focus on the heartfelt and cutting feeling of the lyrics; like the afterglow of whiskey, this song will leave you feeling warm inside. 

Rosey’s first release since her 2016 debut EP ‘Creating Images’, ‘Whiskey Than Wine’ has harnessed Rosey’s lyrical honesty which has flourished and matured from her earlier songs. Expressing emotions on heartbreak, body image and now grief; Rosey is an artist full of authenticity and this encapsulates her new single, as each line is full of raw emotion as she tells her grandfather’s story. ‘Whiskey Than Wine’ is a song which calls on its listeners to open up to let the warm melodies be felt; the perfect song for dusky summer evenings and gentle reflection. 

I chatted with Rosey to find out all about the making of her new single ‘Whiskey Than Wine’…

https://open.spotify.com/album/0eZTQxtfyrozaQGebsA6Sn?si=jUe7HEjeShqY8sBuYLlGHA


How do you feel releasing your new single ‘Whisky Than Wine’into the world? What do you think the reception will be like? 

If I'm honest, I'm feeling more nervous than excited for this one. It's been over 2 years since my first release and a lot has changed since then, both with my music and within the music industry. I'm just hoping that the people who enjoyed my first EP enjoy the new music I've been creating recently. 


It’s a very heartfelt song, what was your inspiration behind the single? 

Well, I wrote the song with the wonderful Amy Wadge, who co-wrote 'Thinking Out Loud' with Ed Sheeran. When I went to see her I remember taking two lines that I’d written previously about my Grandad: 'More rain than shine, more whiskey than wine.' I wanted to write his story of how he lost my grandmother when I was 6. She was such a big part of his life - she taught him to read and write and generally how life can treat you gently if you let it. So, when she died he didn't know how to cope and so turned to alcohol. And that's how this song came about! 


Do you think ‘Whisky Than Wine’ reflects you as an artist?

It's a slightly different one for me, I love recording with a full band but this time we just did this in Amy's little studio at the time with acoustic guitars and a keyboard. I think it shows how much my vocals have developed over the past 2 years but that I still love to tell stories through my songs



How did you find the writing and recording process? Did the two go hand-in-hand? 

The two went hand-in-hand! We wrote and recorded this on the same day. It was the first time I've ever co-wrote with anyone which was such a nerve wracking experience for me as I'm so critical of my own work. So, having someone else be a part of that scared me a little. However, as soon as we started it all seemed to flow fairly quickly. Amy was so kind and her writing style I discovered was very similar to my own so it wasn't scary at all after that.


Are you excited to play the song live? 

I have played it twice before just to see what people thought and to see what sort of reception the song might get. But, I am excited to play it again now that it's coming out. 


You’re releasing a Welsh version of ‘Whisky Than Wine’, ‘Y Gytgan Anghyflawn’, what inspired you to do that? Do you feel connected to the Welsh language

I have a few friends who speak first language Welsh and after speaking to some of them about what music they listen to, I discovered that there aren't that many Welsh speaking artists in Wales of my age. So, I wanted to explore that avenue a little. I'm learning more Welsh at the moment, as I think it's such a beautiful language and a huge part of our history - but I'm not fluent just yet! I mentioned the idea of doing it in Welsh to a great friend of mine and fabulous actor, Ioan Hefin, who is first language Welsh and he offered to do the translation for me; his lyrics are stunning. 


What are your plans for future releases? 

One of the things I've regretted since the EP is not getting music out sooner, so my plan now is to get music out regularly, write with more and more people and just experiment as much as possible. 'Whiskey Than Wine' is the slowest of my tracks, so I can't wait to bring out my more lively songs and get them playing in people's heads like they have been in mine for the past two years!

You can catch Rosey Cale at the Swansea Fringe Festival on October 6th, or follow her social platforms bellow for the latest! 





Facebook: Rosey Cale

Twitter: @RoseyCale





Laura x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

@instagram